Thursday, July 30, 2009

Find out MAC Address of Bluetooth devices from your HandHeld / PDA / SmartPhone

I was working on a embedded project. We got a Medical device, an iPAQ mobile and a BlueTooth programmer from client. They already installed the software in iPAQ with establishing connection with the device. That means, I don’t have the passkey of the device. So If I want to connect with the device from my PC or laptop, I have no clue other than asking client for the passkey. One alternative way was there. The existing software uses a BlueTooth configuration wizard, which takes last 3 digit of the device MAC address. I chalked out a plan for retrieving the MAC address of the device. Here is the details—
1. At first I connected the iPAQ with my PC through the charging cable of the iPAQ.
2. Established connection with the iPAQ through ActiveSync.
3. Opened the VS 2008 ‘’Remote Registry tools”. And connected with the iPAQ.
4. I found the MAC address in the following location
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WIDCOMM\DEVICES
5. There were several devices info. Each key device was named with MAC address of the device. Under each key there is a sub key “Name”. It contains name of the device in HEX.
6. Decoded the Hex value to ASCII. WHooA!!! I got the device name and of course the MAC address.

No comments:

Post a Comment